A Brief History Of Red Bank United Methodist Church
The history of Red Bank United Methodist Church begins when it was established as an union church about 1888. It remained a union church until 1922, with Baptists, Lutherans and Methodists all worshipping together. As the congregations grew larger, it became necessary for each denomination to establish their own places of worship. In June of 1936, the Methodists launched a “pay as you go” building program. In three years, the church was built and paid for at a cost of $20,000 – the equivalent of 290,215.83 in today’s dollars. The Rev. J. R. T. Major, District Superintendent, assisted by the pastor, Rev. J. L. Singleton, dedicated Red Bank Methodist Church on October 29, 1939. Nearly 30 years later, in 1965, a fellowship hall was built at the rear of the church property. This building still serves the needs of RBUMC today and is affectionately known as “The Hut”. Growth in the church community dictated more changes; and in 1978, additional educational space was completed along with a kitchen and fellowship hall. In 1994, our new parsonage was completed and is located just minutes away from the church. Members and friends did much of the labor. Our former parsonage, which was completed in 1963 and was located just next to the church, was sold and moved to a new “home” here in the Red Bank community. The church celebrated another addition in early 1998, dictated again by growth in the church community. A new Fellowship Hall and Kitchen, additional Sunday School rooms, Nurseries, a Parlor, a Choir Rehearsal room, and Administrative Offices were built after much careful planning, prayer, and teamwork. The overall plan included a new Sanctuary at a future date. Six years later, on Sunday, November 14, 2004, Red Bank United Methodist Church broke ground on our new Sanctuary and on Sunday, January 15, 2006, we consecrated this building to the Glory of God for Worship, Praise and Fellowship. With the arrival of the new sanctuary steeple in September 2006, the congregation of RBUMC saw fit to bless a fellow United Methodist Church with a wonderful gift. The steeple from the former sanctuary, erected on what is now the chapel in 1972, was refurbished and lives again atop Bethel UMC. RBUMC can take pride in her past and can look forward to many years of growth as we join together to worship the Lord.
In 2014 Red Bank UMC celebrated 125 years as a church on this property, 75 years as a chartered United Methodist Church, with a Homecoming service attended by former members and including former pastor Jim Johnston as guest pastor.